About the Site:
Located near Freelton, Ontario, the Hood Site (AiHa-7) was excavated by Paul A. Lennox in 1977. The extensive excavations targeted large midden deposits, the village palisade and 14 longhouses associated with a Neutral Iroquoian village (c. AD 1640).
The Hood Site excavations notably resulted in the first identification of burials within Neutral Iroquoian longhouses. Lennox and his colleagues excavated six burial features (Fitzgerald 1979; note: SA does not house human remains and actively collaborates on appropriate storage, research or repatriation of sacred objects).
The site also captures the contact between the Neutral First Nation and St. Jean De Brebeuf with Fr. Joseph Marie Chaumont, as representatives of the Jesuits, which took place at the Hood Site in AD 1640. The archaeological collections include a range of metal ornaments, jewellery, and utilitarian items that were traded or given in religious ceremonies by the Jesuits.
At SA McMaster:
Note all locations are approximate and do not represent actual archaeological sites.
Resources about this site:
Lennox, P.A. (1978). The Hood Site: A Historic Neutral Town of 1640 AD. Report submitted to the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Toronto.