About the Site:
At the request of St. Thomas Anglican Church, Belleville, Ontario, excavations were undertaken in the burial grounds surrounding the church in order to legally close the churchyard cemetery and build a parish hall. All human remains were reburied soon after, however the material recovered from coffins was maintained in the collections of McMaster University.
At the time of Saunders and McKillop's project, 579 burials were identified and excavated. These individuals were interred between 1821 and 1874, at which time the crowded burial ground was closed.
At SA McMaster:
Resources about this site:
McKillop, H. (1990). Reading Early Ontario History from Excavated Cemetery Remains. Final Report on Archaeological Research Grant ARG-463. Prepared by Heather McKillop. Submitted to the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Communications, Toronto, Canada.
McKillop, H. (1995). Recognizing Children’s Graves in Nineteenth-Century Cemeteries: Excavations in St. Thomas Anglican Churchyard, Belleville, Ontario, Canada. Historical Archaeology 29(2):77-99.