Sealey Site (AgHa-4)

Site Name:

Sealey Site

County:

Brant County

Borden Number:

AgHa-4

Township:

Brantford

Date Excavated:

1930s-1960s (looted)

Excavated By:

Unknown

About the Site:

The Sealey village was the site of severe, consistent looting from as early as the 1800s. It was revisited by archaeologists in the late 1960's and early 1970's, including Bill Fox, to survey the site and discourage further looting.

The collections housed at Sustainable Archaeology: McMaster are the results of looting by a number of private collectors in the early- to mid-twentieth century.

In 2016, Emily Meikle worked with Sustainable Archaeology McMaster and a panel of experts to create a radio program about the relationship between First Nations communities and archaeologists, discussing the Sealey Site in particular.

At SA McMaster:

One box of material with a broad range of artifacts, including trade beads, worked bone and shell, and extensive assemblages of lithics and ceramics. Artifacts from the collections of David Butters, Everett Case, and Frank Wood are included in the assemblage.

Note: All site locations are approximate and do not represent actual archaeological material

Resources about this site:

Fitzgerald, W. R. (1990). Chronology to Cultural Process: Lower Great Lakes Archaeology, 1500-1650. McGill University, Montreal, Canada. Retrieved from http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/webclient/StreamGate?folder_id=0&dvs=1433264105401~377
Wright, M. J. (1977). The Walker Site. McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada. Retrieved from https://macsphere.mcmaster.ca/bitstream/11375/10660/1/fulltext.pdf