Click on one of the site names below to learn more, or find sites by location using the interactive map
Also known as the Browdie, Brody, or Delaware site, this site is located on the Thames River flood plain near Delaware, Ontario. The material from the Brodie site held by Sustainable Archaeology was excavated by Brian Deller in 1973 and 1974. While the site has previously been the subject of research concerning its lithic assemblage, the collection held by Sustainable Archaeology is primarily composed of ceramics.
The Cranberry Creek Site (AfGv-62) was excavated in 1974 by Paul Lennox and David Stothers with a crew of McMaster students. Located in Haldimand County, this site has been dated to 200 to 300 BC and AD 700 to 900 indicating a multi component site with occupations in the Middle and Late Woodland periods.
Located on the eastern bank of the Fairchild Creek tributary, near Brantford, Ontario, the Fonger Site (AhHb-8) was identified as a protohistoric Neutral Iroquois village, ca. AD 1590-1630. The site was excavated under the supervision of Gary Warrick in 1978 and 1979 with the intent of better understanding Iroquois village layouts and organisation.
Douglas Bell first investigated the Guyatt site in 1937 and returned for a partial excavation in 1951 with a team from McMaster University, the University of Toronto, and the ROM. Bell noted in his 1963 paper that this Neutral village site “had suffered in the interim from the depredations of collectors interested only in what they could find, and our excavation provided an opportunity to save what information remained, before it was totally destroyed.”
Located in West Flamborough township, the Hamilton site (AiHa-5) was the subject of surface-collection for amateur archaeologists before W.C. Noble's excavations in the 1970s, with McMaster and Laurentian University students and Professor Helen Devereux. In 1976, Paul Lennox excavated an additional two houses at the site.
Discovered in the box for another site, the Hicks artifacts in Sustainable Archaeology's collection represent a mystery. As with many legacy collections, only very limited provenience information is available about this site and its artifacts. This assemblage consists entirely of lithic tools and debitage, and appears to have been excavated by someone named Alex Hicks in the early 1970's. Anyone with information about such an excavation is encouraged to contact Sustainable Archaeology.
The Jackes (Eglinton) site is located northwest of Eglinton and Avenue Roads in Toronto, and is today covered by Allanby Public School and housing developments. The site is notably the best documented Iroquoian village (ca. 1450-1475) in the City of Toronto, though it was unfortunately destroyed by development before systematic archaeological investigations were required.
The only associated record accompanying the Jenzen material in a handwritten note that includes reference to 1961 and a farm close to the Grand River. Material is labelled Jenzen, J, Jenz, or AfGw-1. As seen in the image below, some artifacts include an additional label, suggesting the material was catalogued.
First excavated in 1952 by J.N. Emerson, Parsons is a Late Iroquoian village site, thought to be the result of an amalgamation of two or more earlier communities. Considered to be one of the defining sites of the Humber Valley archaeological sequence, Parsons stands out due to the marked concentration of exotic ceramics in the eastern portion of the site and the unusual double palisade forming the site's perimeter. Since its discovery, the Parsons site has undergone a number of incarnations, hosting numerous archaeological field schools, an attempted museum, and excavations continuing into the early 1990's.
At the request of St. Thomas Anglican Church, Belleville, Ontario, excavations were undertaken in the burial grounds surrounding the church in order to legally close the churchyard cemetery and build a parish hall. All human remains were reburied soon after, however the material recovered from coffins was maintained in the collections of McMaster University.